Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Let's take a closer look at "Us" trailer

By s. Wednesday, December 26, 2018 , , ,

The trailer for Jordan Peele's Us was just released, in time to freak everyone out during Christmas. This is a very rare situation where I didn't read spoilers and didn't read the script so it's really fun to try to figure out what is happening.



Peele said: “For my second feature, I wanted to create a monster mythology, I wanted to do something that was more firmly in the horror genre but still held on to my love of movies that are twisted but fun.”

I don't think we should be taking his use of the word "monsters" literally, though.


How cool is that logo?! It's a reference to Peele's previous film, Get Out.


Nice foreshadowing - the four people hunting the family are their doppelgangers, who Peele calls "The tethered".


"Find yourself" on the building as the boy is approaching what appears to be one of the doppelgangers and the first sign for the characters that something is very wrong.


Are the intruders clones? Look at all those bunnies, perhaps experimented on first before whoever is doing this moved on to human trials? Also - only one of the bunnies is black.


We see a ballerina - in two different settings. A clone learning the skills of the original?


But if they are clones what is happening here? This looks more like supernatural occurrence. This girl is Madison Curry (the daughter is played by this actress) - it appears she is playing the young version of Lupita's character. Maybe it's not anything supernatural, just a creepy nightmare she is having as an adult. We see the girl few times in the trailer, maybe it's a new doppelganger/clone that hasn't grown up yet? There's a line in the trailer where Elisabeth Moss' character says she cannot believe how big they've got referring to the kids, so maybe it is a clue the doppelgangers grow up much faster than people.


 Are they immune to fire?!


And is that perhaps a result of cloning gone wrong? Or is it after the above scene and result of the burning? If so are they immune to pain? And what is up with those masks?


The shirts. There's a bunny on one and also references to Jaws and Thriller on others.


Check out the name of the boat. Peele sneaks in some humor there. Also this appears to be the dad beating someone up.


Hopefully she is about to stab the scientology out of her. This appears to be the character's doppelganger. They all seem very odd/emotionless.


Lots of dead bodies in the background at various points of the trailer. It seems that this family is not the only one with doppelgangers.


There are bloody (red paint?) handprints on the wall. A lot of them.


Whoever is hurting Elisabeth Moss' character wears the same robes doppelgangers do.


And finally not only is Lupita getting attacked by the evil Lupita but there's also a gigantic spider there



Us opens on March 15th in USA

18 comments:

  1. Really nice examination. Apparently I was one of the few who didn't go for "Get Out". I'm still surprised it was so adored considering several glaring issues I had with it. So I was a little skeptical about Peele's next venture. I gotta say though, this trailer is has me intrigued. Anxious to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was all about the subtext there. It was quite a clever film, especially that ending where you assume he is for sure gonna get shot, considering what is happening in USA with the cops and black people

      Delete
  2. I watched this trailer several times yesterday. I generally don't do that. Once is usually enough. I'm pumped for this one. Great work on your part. So many nuances just within the trailer and made a go at a number of them. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to put this together, I love mysteries like that :P

      Delete
  3. Holy cow does this look wiggity whack, and I'm all about it! Nice breakdown of the trailer...you caught a lot that I didn't. Can't wait for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good thing it's not a long wait! Of course if it opens in my shitty country on time....

      Delete
  4. I just watched the trailer and it's probably the most tense and terrifying I've seen in my life. Can't wait to see the movie! Nice analysis :) also, you cracked me up with that Scientology comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean really that she continues to get cast is kinda gross but I suppose we need to tolerate that if no one holds that against Tom Cruise

      Delete
  5. Curious sati... you often mention reading scripts before seeing a movie and here talk about spoilers too. I'm just curious why? Doesn't it ruin the surprise a bit?

    I'd also love to know where you get these scripts from too, I can't imagine they'd just come up on google. Or maybe I'm wrong.... But either way if I want to write for film rather than a novel, once the novel is DONE, it'd be great to read some great scripts. I have some old ones from a book-only private torrent site but never new flicks

    But dayum, your ability to analyse film is amazing. I know IU have said that a few times, but seriously you should be doing it for a career, no shit!!

    I missed your last few posts, been stuck in bed and barely able to get to the shops. But I'm back and happy to see nothing has change at this corner of the net! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I imagine reading a book that serves as source for adaptation does. I don't have time for books and I read enough of legal ones to be tired of reading, scripts are brief.

      I can't answer that, sorry. I could share some for the released movies, if you have any specific requests

      Glad to read you are doing better!

      Delete
    2. Hmm yeah I assumed you had a special source :P Bummer!! I can't even find any of them on any of all the private sites I frequent.

      As for requests, they are new but are you able to help me with Green Book and/or The Favourite? I'm also interested in the Hereditary script.

      I don't know suppose you know anyone in the 'biz' that can, I dunno, assess scripts? Or maybe, if you have time, you could read mine and tell me what you think once its finished? That would be mega cool! :D

      take care

      Delete
    3. I don't think that would be possible. I can barely keep this blog going with how much reading I already have to do for work.

      I'll check if I have those scripts

      Delete
    4. Any scripts of good movies this year would be cool. I just would like to see how they are written as I'm (trying to) turn a shortish story of mine into a screenplay. I dunno if you have screenplays or just scripts but either would be very helpful

      thanks :)

      Delete
    5. I'll DM you on twitter when I have a moment

      Delete
  6. The scientology comment also had me spitting my lunch all over my monitor :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. That logo is amazing! And there are so many cool elements from the trailer and there seems to be easter eggs around every corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I love trailers like that, so intriguing!

      Delete