Saturday, April 20, 2019

Ranking Marvel Cinematic Universe films

By s. Saturday, April 20, 2019 ,

We're in the Endgame now. Next week the big finale is gonna be released and I'm sure we are all going to watch it as soon as possible, so right now let's take a look at MCU so far.

21. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
This is a piece of garbage so bad that not even the worst of DCEU films were this much of a waste time. It's so insanely bland, forgettable and generic it makes you appreciate Ang Lee's mess of a movie more. Ang Lee's movie has Sam Elliott. This has fuck all.

20. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Between completely botched villain subplot, the disgusting handling of Black Widow, Tony's prima nocta joke (we really should have known Whedon is a pig) and such a boring third act, this movie would be entirely unbearable if it wasn't for the lovely cast, especially Downey Jr., Hemsworth and Evans injecting so much charm into this film. Natasha and Banner's romance is the lowest point for both of these characters and some of this movie is just plain weird and creepy.

19. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Yet another Spiderman movie, this time with Tom Holland being perfectly lovely as the newest actor playing the part. Keaton's Vulture makes for a good villain and the high school setting is refreshing, but overall the film is a tonal mess and it's entirely forgettable.

18. Doctor Strange (2016)
Interesting visuals aside, this had no business being so mediocre. All the worst tropes of MCU are present here - wasting great actor on a generic villain part, wasting a charming actress on a thankless love interest part - and delivering insultingly generic movie for that premise. It really shows how weak this movie is, when handled by different writers Benedict Cumberbatch, so boring and lifeless here, shone so bright in Infinity War.

17. Iron Man 3 (2013)
Despite refreshing Christmas setting and Robert Downey Jr. being wonderful again, this is the weakest entry in Iron Man trilogy. There's an annoying kid, nonsensical subplot with glowing people and utterly wasted Rebecca Hall and Guy Pearce. Eh.

16. Thor: The Dark World (2013)
This should probably be lower on the list but somehow it's one of my most rewatched MCU films. There are some gorgeous set pieces here - mainly Frigga's funeral, the supporting characters are, again, a lot of fun and Chris Hemsworth brings so much joy and humor to the film. Unfortunately, the third act and the villain are almost unbearably boring.

15. Iron Man 2 (2010)
While far from one of the best MCU movies, this is a lot of fun and introduces several wonderful actors to the franchise - especially Sam Rockwell who is having so much fun in this movie. There's also Scarlett Johansson in her first performance as Black Widow, back when she still seemed to be interested in playing the part as opposed to sleepwalking through her roles.

14. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
While the film follows a pretty cliched story and Evans was still few movies away from really finding the right way to play the character without coming off bland, the setting distinguishes it from other movies in MCU and the love story between Steve and Peggy is MCU's best.

13. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
Charming, sweet and lovely, this one is not as heartwarming as the first movie but at least it finally gives Wasp things to do. Also it introduces Michelle Pfeiffer to the franchise and it's such a good natured movie - the villains aren't really villains and really it's just a bunch of good people we see helping each other out in the end. Unfortunately, the mid credits scene is the worst timed one in entire MCU and completely wrecks the happy feel of the movie.

12. Captain Marvel (2019)
MCU's long awaited first female-led movie is a delight, unfortunately it suffers from the usual crutch of those films - weak visual side. They really should improve that aspect because in this day and age visual effects and the look of those movies should be much better. Anyways, the cast is charming, the story is sweet and engaging and Brie Larson is wonderful as the lead character. All hail Goose!

11. Iron Man (2008)
The one which started it all is a perfect origin movie but what it should really be hailed for is that it gave the comeback vehicle for Robert Downey Jr. The man was a total mess for years and now he is the most successful actor out there and without him there would not be an MCU to begin with. He worked hard to come back and I'm so thrilled to see him on the top. And that movie, like no other before it, really harnesses his charm and charisma.

10. The Avengers (2012)
The first big team up movie remains a huge joy to watch, no matter how many times you see it. The dynamic between the heroes is fantastic, the villain is entertaining, there are epic sequences, great humorous moments and overall it's just such a good time.

9. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Marvel took characters not many people knew about and turned them into people's favorites. This movie has so much whimsy and fun and remains one of the best looking films in the franchise. And it always, always blows my mind that this is actually Bradley Cooper's voice.

8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
One of the very few MCU movies that actually gives Black Widow interesting things to do, this is one of the most original films in the franchise bringing to mind the classic political thrillers from the 70's. It develops the characters of Widow, Fury, Steve and Bucky. The only bad thing here is the forced love interest - Evans and whatshername playing Peggy's niece have the worst chemistry in the entire franchise.

7. Black Panther (2018)
Easily one of the best paced films in the franchise and the one that finally gave us amazing female characters with Danai Gurira's Okoye being a clear standout. The music is fantastic and memorable, the costumes are lovely and the blend of tradition and technology provides for a very cool atmosphere and setting of the movie. And some of the things here - like the moment in the shot above - are just so inspired.

6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Even better than the first movie. This one has something more adorable than Groot - and that is Baby Groot! It also has the best opening scene/credits in all of MCU and one of the most touching sequences - Yondu's funeral near the end. There's also a terrific subplot exploring the complex relationship between Gomora and Nebula and Pom Klementieff provides a lovely addition in Mantis.

5. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Huge, fun and exciting this is the movie that is always so entertaining to revisit - the team ups between the heroes are so much fun - especially Thor and Rocket - and the Russos manage to vastly improve the characters of Wanda and Doctor Strange. Thanos is a great villain, the film flows very well and the only thing that is missing is the epic component - the blandness of cinematography is still present here and the film lacks the wow factor, no matter how cool Downey Jr.Hemsworth and Evans make their characters heroic efforts look.

4. Ant-Man (2015)
Such a charming, warm movie. The parallel stories of Hank and Hope and Scott and Cassie - the loving fathers who want to protect their daughters - are so lovely and make the film one of the most heartwarming in the entire franchise. Michael Douglas gives my favorite performance in all of MCU here and Paul Rudd finally has a chance to play who he was always meant to play - Disney prince/Superhero.

3. Thor (2011)
Yes, Chris Hemsworth's bleached eyebrows are a disgrace. But I still love that movie. It's so much fun - the supporting characters are a delight, the romance between Thor and Jane is so sweet and Asgard is such a gorgeous place. The film also has some good old fashioned Shakespearean drama thrown in and gives the audience an amazing villain in Loki.

2. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
When I first saw Ragnarok I liked it and found it entertaining but it's only during subsequent rewatches that I found its brilliance. It's really the first Thor movie that unlocks Chris Hemsworth's huge comedy potential completely, it's one of the few MCU movies that at least tries to be more vibrant and colorful and it gives us so much girl power. It also for once gives us Hulk that I can actually enjoy - the character that works for me only as comedic one and  it also gives us more of Ruffalo's Banner, this time almost entirely free of ridiculous romance subplot with Nartasha. It's just pure joy and it's so insanely rewatchable.

1. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Despite not technically beiing an Avengers team up movie this one is the best team up film in the franchise. The climactic fight between Tony, Steve and Bucky remains the best choreographed and astonishing fight in the franchise and the way the movie incorporates the consequences of Avengers' exploits, the introductions of Black Panther and Spiderman and brings Ant-Man back (his reverence for Captain America provides some of the funniest moments in MCU) is truly wonderful.  Both Evans and Downey Jr. bring their A games here, making their characters' conflict so amazing to watch.


23 comments:

  1. Our lists are pretty close! There's so much great character stuff to dig into in Civil War its definitely in my top three. I think T'Challa in that movie is my favorite overall introduction. And Nebula and Gamora's relationship as well in GOTG- rewatching the first film I would not have expected it to have that much depth.

    I'd love an Okoye, Shuri, Wasp & Wanda team up. And I much prefer Thor's current haircut :) Hopefully he stays friends with Rocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like Thor's new haircut better too! :D And Rocket needs to stick around with him :)

      Delete
  2. Civil War is a worthy pick for the top spot. And Ragnarok is fantastic. This is the highest I've seen the first Thor on one of these lists. Cool. I will do mine after I see Endgame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thor was number one for a long time but I decided to change it :)

      Delete
  3. Cool! Your top 10 has all my favorites, although in slightly different order. I would put Winter Soldier at number 2 or 3, and have Thor a bit lower in ranking (somewhere between 4-8). My top 5 all-time favorite Marvel movies are Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, Avengers and Thor Ragnarok. Oh man, I'm going to miss Captain America & Iron Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter Soldier is a great movie but this whole Sharon Carter character just drags it, why did they introduce her :/ But it's so well done and that elevator fight is FIRE

      Delete
  4. Great list!!

    I don't know where I would put Homecoming (it'd be higher), but outside of that, I f--king love this list. It's amazing how few missteps there have been, and you've nailed the best parts of each.

    I would love to go back and rewatch the second Thor movie (I've only seen it once and I actually really liked it), but I can't imagine I'll ever get around to it. It almost seems like Portman was never in the MCU, honestly, but I dug Jane when she was around. Oh, and her friend too. Rowr.

    I don't know what you f--kers are talking about, this whole 'missing Cap and Iron Man' nonsense. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO THEM. NOPE.

    *runs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portman is insane. She got a job where she got paid AND got to make out with Hemsworth and she wasn't happy with that?! I would trade for that and I'm pretty sure you would too lol

      Delete
  5. Nice list! A bunch of these are definitely in my top ten like Winter Soldier and Black Panther. I've got my Civil War and Infinity War tied for the tenth spot on my top ten ranking, but waiting to see if Endgame can beat them. You're right about Infinity War - besides the Snap it does miss that extra epic moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rewatched it yesterday ad it does look great but that battle should have been way bigger

      Delete
  6. Winter Soldier is my #1 but Civil War is so very close behind. I love this list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun list. I really enjoy these things. Winter Soldier is my favorite by a pretty big margin. I adore everything about it. It's funny our biggest departures are on Ragnarok and Incredible Hulk. I don't necessarily love the Hulk movie but like a good bit of it (that ending really sucked though). Ragnarok is a fun movie without question. For me its characterizations of Thor and Hulk clashed with the their characters in other films. I loved Goldblum though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care about Hulk at all and Thor for me is always entertaining :0 Goldblum was such a brilliant casting, I doubt he was even acting, he was just being himself :)

      Delete
  8. I've seen about 3/4 of these...and I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Guardians and Ragnarok! I still haven't seen Captain Marvel, but I'm going to make damn well sure I see Infinity War!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol meant to say *Infinity War. *guzzles more coffee*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You meant Endgame :D You need more coffee :D

      Delete
    2. JESUS I DID IT AGAIN. GUZZZZZZZZZZZZZLE

      Delete
  10. It’s been a while since I last saw The Incredible Hulk but I don’t remember it being that bad and I can’t believe Doctor Strange and Spider-Man Homecoming are ranked so low. I loved both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really bored during both of those :/

      Delete
  11. I had a similar idea to do a list but I feel like I need to watch all the films before I do this. I will have Winter Soldier as nr 1 though, that's something that will never change. Civil War a close second and then I start to question myself.

    I might do it before Spider-Man comes out.. if I ever find the time. I'm in a serious time crunch atm.

    I think Thor won't be high on the list, Ragnarok yes, but not the first Thor. Sorry. Ant-Man is great, but I like Spider-Man more, and yet,. it's like putting Paul Rudd against Tom Holland and it's like.. how can I do that, both are absolutely wonderful!

    Okay, I need to stop now because I get the urge to marathon all 22 films now and I really don't have time. Though.. Just the thought, 22 films, and I really want to see all of them. No other franchise has had such a big success and I don't see Marvel stopping any time soon either. Just wow.

    *lifts her top hat*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Especially that Thor is still in the mix and as long as he is I will definitely keep watching :) Hopefully Angelina really is in The Eternals as the main characters that would be so great to see

      Delete