Thursday, February 16, 2012

Scene of the Week: Amelie

By s. Thursday, February 16, 2012 , , ,
directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
First Kiss(es)
The scene: After Amelie finally decides to chase Nino, her true love, she rushes out of the room with tears in her eyes. When she opens the front door in order to catch up to him, to her surprise he is standing right there - having come back after Amelie pretended she is not home. The two don't say anything, they just kiss each other - Amelie kisses Nino's cheek, neck and temple and then playfully shows him to kiss her on the lips, which Nino does and then copies what Amelie did, kissing her softly, almost worshiping her. That scene is not your usual first kiss scene - it's as lovely, unique and subtle as entire movie is.



12 comments:

  1. I need to have the 2-disc DVD right now. I love that film and I love Audrey Tautou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could watch Amelie over and over, it's so gorgeous and such a happy film.

      Delete
  2. Even though I think, perhaps, Amelie is a little overrated and overhyped, it was definitely a film I really enjoyed - cute and harmless. It reminds me a little of Wes Anderson's style of filming with the quirky vibe, actually.

    This is a really lovely scene, though.

    Again, great post Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Quirky is the best way to describe the way and yeah, you are right - it does look a lot like Wes Anderson's style.

      Delete
  3. I adore Amelia soooo much! Such a great scene, and all the more poignant because if I remember correctly there's no music, just standard atmos and background noise. I felt like I was holding my breath in that scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no music. Loved that they did that - it's pretty much the grand finale of the movie and it's so quite, just her and Nino fill the frames.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favourite scenes ever, and Amelie and Nino are one of my favourite pairs ever. Gahh. When will I find my Nino?! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all of us gets to find out very own Nino :)

      Delete
  5. That is how to do a first kiss!! Ooh yes. I like Tautou, shame she is an absolute b***h in real life (this came from someone who met her, and was broken hearted when they found out she wasn't like Amelie in real life)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? The only actress I heard something lioke this about lately was Abbie Cornish. Still, props to Audrey for being able to play charming person so well.

      Delete
  6. This is a really great film. I love pretty much ever moment in it, including the one that you mentioned in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is wonderful I don't think I know a single person who dislikes it :)

      Delete