Sunday, April 5, 2015

White Swan, Black Swan blogathon

By s. Sunday, April 5, 2015
For the new blogathon I thought it would be fun to pay homage to my all time favorite movie and one of my favorite types of characters - Black Swan.

What is black swan you may ask, Well, it has never been stated as an official term but I'd like to think the idea of a black swan/white swan is a very elegant way of depicting the duality in characters. So I encourage you to write about your favorite white swans/black swans, both in movies and in TV series.

There are so many fascinating cases of character being one thing to the outside world and completely different person in reality - Mavis from Young Adult, Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, Brandon from Shame...you can choose characters from all the genres and it's doesn't matter if they are lead or very supporting.

I'd love for this to be also the opportunity to write about those fascinating characters from the psychological standpoint, so go for it!

Here are the rules:

1. Choose max 3 characters to write about.
2. You can also feature characters from TV series.
3. We are not looking for doppelgangers - we are looking for one person with two sides. For example in Black Swan you can write about Nina and her alter ego but not about Lily and Nina, which are two different people. You can write about Gollum/Smeagol but you cannot write about Bette and Dot - the Siamese twins from AHS: Freakshow - because technically they are two different people.
4. Write about why you chose the character
5. Provide a theory on what causes the two different sides and what are the signs and contradictions between the two, for example you can write about things like that:

6. Link back to the post and feature the logo for the blogathon
7. Let me know you wrote the post either in the comment, via twitter - @lady_sati or my e-mail - sati.margaret@gmail.com
8. The deadline is April 30th
9. Most importantly? Have fun!


39 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds like a fun activity I might be able to think about in between exams, perhaps even find time to take part in when it's done, but I'm going to have a heck of a time deciding on my characters. I've got to find someone who has the appropriate duality but is also not too obvious a choice. That's going to be tough.

    Oh, if it's any interest, I started a blogathon of my own. Perhaps you'd be interested in taking a look at it: http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2015/04/summer-blockbuster-cast-thon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main reason I'm hosting a blogathon is because I don't have the time to write anything, but I'll try to check it out if I have a free moment!

      Delete
  2. Great idea. Going to have to do some thinking on this one. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love this idea. I'll have something up for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a very cool blogathon idea Margaret, and I LOVE that graphic! Hmmm, I'll have to get my thinking cap on, but I'd love to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! This is so cool! I'm sure I'll be able to think of something although at the moment, before coffee, I'm completely blank in regards to a character who fits this situation. The examples are great and I love the fact that it requires some analyzing and so on. :)
    *Puts her thinking cap on*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you come up with :P

      Delete
  6. This sounds like fun! (I like that you included TV as an option, someone instantly came to mind with that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, can't wait to see what everyone's picks are!

      Delete
  7. Interesting idea. I hope I can take part in it. My exams are starting and will actually end on April 30th but I'll definitely try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you cannot make the deadline I'll just add your post later, it would be awesome if you joined!

      Delete
  8. Great blogathon idea! Now I just have to think of a character or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh I love this! So many good blogoathons going on right now. I'm going to have to think hard about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME! I will definitely do this. Looking forward to reading the entries to these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you on board, can't wait to see your choices!

      Delete
  11. This is a brilliant idea for a blogathon, and the whole realm of duality and moral ambiguity is definitely right up my alley. I also love the examples you chose. I can't wait to see what people come up with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm excited to see who people will write about

      Delete
  12. Great idea! I know this is way ahead of the deadline, but I'm about to go on holidays and I was really excited to write it!
    http://that-film-girl.blogspot.ca/2015/04/black-swanwhite-swan.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very much in for this. If only I was smart...I could think of someone.

    Well, I'm not going to let my lack of creativity stop me. I mean, it hasn't yet, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can do it! You Cinematic Moments posts were awesome!

      Delete
  14. Below is the URL for my entry in your blogathon, in which I discuss Sandy Bates of Woody Allen's "Stardust Memories":
    https://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/an-examination-of-sandy-bates-in-woody-allens-stardust-memories-1980/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic idea Sati! I'm really looking forward to reading these posts. I definitely need to get my thinking cap on for this one though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I might want to join, but there's only one character I can think of that i would want to do - Amazing Amy. I just don't know if anyone else has claimed her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one chose Amy yet so go for it! :)

      Delete
    2. I posted! Here's the link: http://conmanatthemovies.com/2015/05/01/white-swanblack-swan-blogathon-spoilers-for-gone-girl/

      Delete
  17. Mine is up! http://ramblingfilm.blogspot.com/2015/04/white-swanblack-swan-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. My entry is up!!!

    http://dellonmovies.blogspot.com/2015/04/white-swan-black-swan-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here's my entry.

    http://movienut14.blogspot.com/2015/04/white-swan-black-swan-blogathon.html

    ReplyDelete