Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Angelina Jolie is pure perfection as Maleficent in the film's first trailer.

By s. Wednesday, November 13, 2013 ,
(I know I'm probably the last one to post it, but in my defense I was making the above graphic)

It's finally here. The long awaited first trailer for Disney's Maleficent. People are really excited for this one, especially for one awesome reason - Angelina Jolie. Not only was she absent from the big screen for a while now, but it's pretty damn rare that someone is literally the only right choice for a certain character. And there is no one in the world more perfect for the role of evil witch Maleficent than Jolie.



I like plenty of things in the trailer - the pacing is fantastic and it really builds up the excitement for Maleficent to appear. The music is great, Angelina looks amazing and her laugh in the end of the trailer is fantastic (though so was Charlize's in the end of SWATH teaser...). The scene in which she is conjuring a forest of vines is quite epic - I'm sure they are still working on CGI but it already looks like something that is going to be cool and - I can't believe I'm writing those words - and even cooler in 3D.

The big red flag is the film's first time director Robert Stromber. He was responsible for production design in Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and Oz: The Great and Powerful. I fucking hate this guy's style. The ridiculous flying fairies - here it looks like a mermaid or other cutesy crap like that - the overwhelming blue color, golden saturation on people, the bright fuchsia spots - it all looks so fake, so in you face and so, so tacky. Thank God there appear to be normal shots here - like fantastic dark look of the castle when Maleficent is arriving, no doubt, during Aurora's christening or the vines rising.

But if I had to sit though another movie where blue is so blue it goes from being my favorite color to me wanting to punch the wall and retarded creatures flying towards me in 3D because someone thought it will be adorable I'm knocking the whole point from this. Let's hope they'll tone it down.

The film stars Elle Fanning as Aurora and hopefully Fanning's natural charisma will infuse Aurora with actual...personality. She has gotta be the blandest of Disney princesses. Maleficent has quite the cast -  Juno Temple, Leslie Manville, Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson, Peter Capaldi, Sam Riley and Sharlto Copley

Here's the official synopsis: from Disney comes “Maleficent”—the untold story of Disney’s most iconic villain from the 1959 classic “Sleeping Beauty.” A beautiful, pure-hearted young woman, Maleficent has an idyllic life growing up in a peaceable forest kingdom, until one day when an invading army threatens the harmony of the land. Maleficent rises to be the land’s fiercest protector, but she ultimately suffers a ruthless betrayal—an act that begins to turn her pure heart to stone. Bent on revenge, Maleficent faces an epic battle with the invading king’s successor and, as a result, places a curse upon his newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Maleficent realizes that Aurora holds the key to peace in the kingdom—and perhaps to Maleficent’s true happiness as well.

Maleficent opens on May 30th 2014

24 comments:

  1. I like the music here and the visuals are quite beautiful. Curious to see how this pans out but they definitely got the casting right w/ Jolie as Maleficent. She even looks like her in the animated version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is really good, I hope it will be something like this sound in the actual movie. It's creepy how much she looks like animated Maleficent.

      Delete
  2. This was by far one of the trailers I looked forward to the most this year. I'm impressed with Angelina's voice; she sounds like the original Maleficent, I just hope her British accent doesn't go towards the Lara Croft almost horribly fake British accent. The music definitely adds hype to the trailer, and I'm interested to see why Aurora finds the spinning wheel in a junkyard (?). Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really sounds amazing! I don't think we have to worry about accent :)

      Delete
  3. Angelina Jolie is gorgeous in this one. Haven't seen her on the big screen for so long, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hell yeah! Angie looks awesome. I wanna see this also because of Elle Fanning though I agree that the red flag is the director since he was a production designer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The music? Angelina Jolie? Definite Yays.
    Pretty much everything else you mentioned (minus 'wall punching' and
    retarded creatures')? Huge Boos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good so far! I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another Jack The Giant Slayer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both Jolie and Elle Fanning are on the top of my fave actresses, so I'm very excited for this! But yeah, here's to hoping they'll tone down the blue.

    And is it just me or is 3D getting kinda… good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a good shot at liking it then!

      It definitely looks like it has potential.

      Delete
  8. Aww, Aurora is my favorite Disney princess! lol. I loved her singing voice. I totally agree that Jolie is perfect for this role. I can't wait to see it, it seems far more intriguing than SWATH to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it will be much better than SWATH!

      Delete
  9. Your title for this post pretty much sums it up. Jolie looks PERFECT for this role. Absolutely perfect. Really liked the trailer. Hope it's better than the last slew of fairy tale films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I really hope it will be much better than recent Disney movies.

      Delete
  10. I didn't care much for the trailer (especially the bit at the end), but I do love Jolie and I think she's like a cartoon, she's THAT perfect looking. And yes, her laugh is awesome. I too think that Fanning will make me like Aurora, and I fucking hate Aurora.

    Can't wait for the full trailer and see the rest of the cast in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanning was an excellent choice here, I loved her in Super 8!

      I think we'll get one during Spring

      Delete
  11. yeah, i was concerned about stromberg too. as for everything else, including jolie, i am HERE for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope this will have something more in terms of visuals than usual Disney stuff from recent years. SWATH wasn't that bad except for that enchanted forest with unicorns or whatever but Oz and Alice were too much.

      Delete
  12. I'm really looking forward to it, but I kind of want to avoid anymore trailers. It looks quite promising though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stay away from trailers so I'm doomed :P

      Delete