Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Breaking Emotions: Fear

By s. Tuesday, November 5, 2013 , , , , , ,
MettelRay has started another fun blogathon - this time she is posting a list of emotions and participants can share movie scenes that caused them to have those emotions. Yesterday she posted awkwardness and fear. Instead of giving 3 examples for each, I'll give 5 examples for fear.

Though the above definition doesn't include it, fear is also something that one can define as a jolt of adrenaline and the hair on your back standing up. Another way to call it is a desired emotion one should feel during horror films. While we watch those the danger, pain and harm are all in the movie yet somehow we feel fear too. We share it with people on the screen.

Another way of getting you to feel fear are the infamous jump scares. They are cheap tactic, yes, but they always work on me. That's why you will see so many of those below and hopefully you'll see that jump scares, when they are well executed, should not be looked down upon.

5. Halloween
I've only saw this movie 4 days ago but it's the most fresh feeling of fear I experienced. It's when one of the boys runs into the bad guy and we see him grab the boy, with the accompaniment of freaky music in the background.

4. Interview with the Vampire
This is a classic jump scare but it worked on me-  it's when Lestat begins to turn Louis and suddenly jumps on him with the freaky sound ringing loudly. I did fly across the room on my moving chair during that one.

3. Carrie
I remember seeing Carrie when I was a teenager, late at night on TV. I had the volume pretty high up, no reason not too. And then the serene scene where Sue visits Carrie's grave turned into a nightmare - when Carrie's hand grabbed Sue's arm as scary music started playing. Nowadays a final jump scare is considered a cheap move but hell, did this one work.
2. Alien
I often compare the scene where we see Michael Fassbender's dick in Shame to that moment - it's literally coming right at you. Kidding aside, this is a scene where the captain is looking for alien to kill it. The rest of the crew is monitoring the movement on the monitor and suddenly they see a second dot. Not only is the tension masterful here but the crew's cries and pleas as unforgiving creature is approaching only add to the intensity of the moment.

1. Mulholland Drive
David Lynch is a fascinating guy. He is a great director who has many gifts but one that I always admired the most is that he is the best horror director who doesn't actually make horror films. His films and his TV series Twin Peaks contain some of the craziest, most mind fucking and surrealistically frightening shit I've seen. From Bob silently creeping towards Maddie, through pretty much entire Inland Empire to the creepy pale dude from Lost Highway, Lynch knows how to get inside you head and put nightmares there. And worse yet - the man is a master of building the tension.And example of those abilities is a scene which almost gave me a heart attack. It begins with a man sitting at Winkies diner describing the dream he had to the guy that is sitting with him. He says that in his dream they were talking in that very diner and then they went out back where there was a creature with the scariest face he has ever seen. The other guy convinces him to face his fear and they go out to check the back of the diner. Suddenly that thing on the picture above comes from behind the building and the guy who had a dream falls on the ground, dead from fright.

RELATED POSTS:

23 comments:

  1. This is such a nice entry ! I can't say that I'm familiar with all of them but the Interview with the Vampire moment came right back at me. Oh and the alien thing is pretty much how I feel about every monster movie, I just know it's coming and yet.. I jump !

    Thanks for entering the blogathon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cannot wait for next two emotions :P

      Delete
  2. OMG! We share one! LOL, I'm not going to say which, but you'll find out. Great post. I'm so excited for another blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's Mulholland Drive, no way someone can see that and not *almost* crap their pants :P

      Delete
    2. BAHAHA...it wasn't...but that's a really spot on awesome inclusion!

      Delete
    3. You didn't freak out during Mulholland Dr.? No way! :P

      Delete
  3. Great list! I love what you said about Lynch. That's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That guy's films scared me like no other director's did.

      Delete
  4. I had missed the Blogathon post, what a great idea and this is a fantastic entry! I love Interview with the Vampire, and that scene made me jump, too! You've inspired me to take part as well, Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, cannot wait for your choices! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that scene in Mulholland Dr. is scary. So is that ending in Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'll remember those my whole life :)

      Delete
  6. Ohhh yeah, Halloween still holds up quite well. Love that film.

    And holy crap, that diner scene in Mulholland Drive is pretty damn horrifying. Totally unexpected, too.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't continue with Mulholland Dr. the first time I saw this scene :) It took me several months to finish the movie, glad I did - it's been my number 2 of all time ever since :)

      Delete
  7. Love the entry! I'm honestly scared merely by the pictures. And hell yes to Carrie, that ending was creepy as fuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really jumped several feet high when that happened :)

      Delete
  8. I agree on Carrie and Interview with the Vampire, quite a jump! I've never seen Mulholland Drive but Eraserhead is the creepiest and most confusing film I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great scenes from Alien & Carrie! I've gotta see Mulholland Dr though but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulholland Dr. is fantastic but it's a really creepy movie :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome picks! I might put Halloween's jump scare higher, but I love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It scared the crap out of me :P

      Delete
  11. Excellent choices, I to jumped out of my seat during that part in Interview with the vampire.

    ReplyDelete