Sunday, November 17, 2013

Breaking Emotions: Tears + Surprise

By s. Sunday, November 17, 2013 , , , , , , ,

This week MettelRay shared another two emotions - tears and surprise. This time I'm gonna do both.

I cry during movies all the time. Like, seriously, all the time. Torturing Clooney in Syriana? Sati cries. Tom Hanks kisses Meg Ryan? Sati cries. Random dog looks scared? Sati cries. Idris Elba is not shirtless? Yeah, you get where I'm going with this.

As for surprise, this is not something I experience often when I watch films, but when I'm surprised, I'm surprised big time. Several times I did not see the reveal coming. This is such an awesome sensation. Like someone pulling the rug out of you with cinematic awesomeness and super clever script.

Tears:

 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2.
It's rare when I give out my acting wins to people who have short screentime but Rickman makes my win 2 years back and with ease with just this scene. In it, we see the flashback to the moment Snape found his beloved Lily Potter dead. He embraces her when literally the most gorgeous track from all Harry Potter movies - Dumbledore's Farewell - plays in the background. I was a mess.

Atonement
This could easily be on both lists as watching the final minutes of that movie was like getting slapped across the face (the twist) and getting punched in the heart (seriously this is some sadistic shit). I always call this ending the most cruel ending in the history of cinema - it's cruel not only for the characters but even more so for the audience, who already got used to the idea that Robbie and Cecilia are finally together. No, they are not. They died. They never met again. It was only Briony's book. Life sucks, you get to bang McAvoy only once in the library, and then you die.

Brokeback Mountain

The shirt scene. I cannot even talk about it.

Surprise

Swimming Pool
This is a great and underrated film in which a writer stays at the summer home of her editor. There she meets his young, spirited daughter. Thanks to her the writer is able to explore some new sensations and ideas. In the end of the film we found out the girl was never there and she existed in writer's imagination as something that would help her create another book.

Unbreakable
M. Night Shyamalan is kinda a joke nowadays, but back in the 90's he made good movies. I thought Unbreakable was even more moving and better made than 6th Sense. As for the big twist in 6th Sense I was already spoiled before seeing it. Thank God for Unbreakable's low profile - no one spoiled it for me and the revelation that Samuel L. Jackson's character orchestrated the mass accidents just to find his opposite, a hero to his villain, was incredibly shocking.

Fight Club

Tyler Durden: Why would anyone possibly confuse you with me?
Narrator: Uh... I... I don't know.
Tyler Durden: You got it.
Narrator: No.
Tyler Durden: Say it.
Narrator: Because...
Tyler Durden: Say it.
Narrator: Because we're the same person.
Tyler Durden: That's right.


BAM!


RELATED POSTS:

20 comments:

  1. Great list! I think I was bawling through all of DH2 - from the Battle of Hogwarts to the very end. How Rickman wasn't nominated for Snape is beyond comprehension.
    Unbreakable - such a good movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Rickman was incredible in the whole series!

      Delete
  2. I can relate to all of these but the Atonement scene somehow frustrates me the most.

    It is simply the most irritating movie ending ever.. period. Why did they die? Why!

    Nice listings though, and thanks for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's such a cruel ending, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I still can't believe I didn't think of Atonement when I did mine. Everyone else thought of it accept me! That ending, ouch. I loved that scene in Brokeback Mountain, especially the final scene where he's like "I swear, Jack." and LOVED that scene in Deathly Hallows 2. I don't even care if that's not how it happened in the book, I thought it was a brilliant little addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atonement seriously disturbed me - I felt like that ending pulled the rug from under me. It was just heartbreaking.

      Delete
  4. That scene in Harry Potter! :( Where everything that Snape did makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously felt like a moron, I think this is the loudest I cried in movie theater.

      Delete
  5. YAY, we share the scene in Atonement for Tears. I was thisclose to put the Unbreakable twist but in the end I went w/ another one from M. Night but yeah, I still hope he'd get a comeback as I LOVED his first two films!

    That scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2 is why I LOVE Snape so much. It's truly a tearjerker scene, and took me by surprise too.

    Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, it's a shame how Shayamalan career ended up :/

      Delete
  6. Oh I cry a lot too! So I had to think of those moments when the sadness is so intense that your throat starts to hurt you know? I always find it weird how a something fictional can stir so much emotion. But beautiful, too.

    I rewatched Brokeback Mountain just a couple of days ago for millionth time, and that scene still got me. It's such a beautiful and moving film, and Ledger and Gyllenhaal are so, so good in it. I was crying all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I get the throat thing too. Definitely had that during Brokeback Mountain.

      BM is actually so relevant to this day. It's heartbreaking how people still prosecute love.

      Delete
  7. Swimming Pool! I watched that over the summer and absolutely loved it. The twist at the end was brilliant, as was Charlotte Rampling's performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it! It's such a wonderful movie and I adore Rampling.

      Delete
  8. I completely forgot about Harry Potter, damn. I mostly cried during the books but I think I shed a tear in the movies as well. Alan Rickman <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with Fight Club, the movie is surprising and mind blowing like that. Harry Potter have those moments that you couldn't help but cry. Atonement was just painful in the end. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful scene choices! So sad/surprising. Harry Potter was the most tearful for me, but I was gutted at the end of Atonement. And Unbreakable's ending was so well-done. I miss the old Shyamalan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I miss him too, his movies used to be very good.

      Delete