Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Visual Parallels: Alien + Prometheus

By s. Tuesday, October 30, 2012 , , , , ,
Alien and Prometheus, though set years apart in movie-making and storytelling terms, share many similarities. Both directed by Ridley Scott and taking place in the same universe, they have strong women as the protagonists - Ellen Ripley and Elizabeth Shaw - first one fierce to begin with and forced to fight for her own survival on board of Nostromo, where xenomorph is determined to kill every single passenger, second - a little naive and too trusting changes in the course of the story when she has to find the inner strength and courage to stay alive.

Both movies have androids in them - Ash and David, both villains who look down at people and are in awe for new creatures they discover. There is also a captain of the ship, willing to sacrifice himself. And then there is the ship itself, almost a separate hero of the story with all the labyrinths and meticulous designs that create it. Both films share the disturbing and inspiring images, creatures and objects designed and inspired by H.R. Giger and deal with loneliness in space - where no one is coming to rescue you. And certainly no one can hear your scream.

(The screencaps were made from Alien: Director's Cut and Prometheus + deleted scenes of the movie)


Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew, Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash and Captain Dallas, are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off. 

Final report of the vessel Prometheus. The ship and her entire crew are gone. If you're recieving this transmission, make no attempt to come to its point of origin. There is only death here now, and I'm leaving it behind. It is New Year's Day, the year of our Lord, 2094. My name is Elisabeth Shaw, last survivor of the Prometheus. And I am still searching.
RELATED POSTS:
 

39 comments:

  1. Wow, nice visual parallels. Especially from the fact that it's from the same director. Will you do one for Aliens and whatever sequel for Prometheus that might be coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definetly, though I don't know If I'll pair up Prometheus 2 with Aliens...depends what the story will be, maybe I'll take elements out of all 4 Alien films...well, I'll have to wait for Prometheus 2 and see.

      Delete
  2. Awesome post, Margaret! You have a wonderful eye for imagery and cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have visual memory, which is useful sometimes, certain images just get stuck in my mind :)

      Delete
  3. Is it weird that my favourite is of the crews eating around the table? I just thought that both those scenes were a great way to show the atmosphere and environment that existed on the ship. Especially in Alien - they weren't a professional 'team of explorers', they were blue collar workers in a way.
    Your visual parallel posts = best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah those moments with the crew talking and just being there are pretty cool in all Alien films, I believe there is a scene like that in each of the films.

      Delete
  4. Excellent post! Off to finally rewatch Prometheus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to rewatch it soon too, I think some of the fans of the movie are working on the special cut that will include deleted scenes in it, it would be so cool to see the whole movie with extra moments.

      Delete
    2. I thought the pacing was great, but I'd be interested in seeing a longer cut as well. :)

      Delete
  5. There are surely plenty of similarities between both films. I didn't realize how much Rooney Mara and Sigourney Weaver were much alike. That alien stuff really freak me out, ewww

    Great job, Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooney Mara wasn't in Prometheus haha.

      Delete
    2. It was freaky taking those screencaps. Oddly enough it's the Engineer who gives me the creeps.

      Delete
    3. People often confuse Lisbeths :)

      Delete
  6. Nice post! There are definitely a whole lot of parallels between the two. Go Ridley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope he will be the one directing the sequel.

      Delete
  7. Great post Sati. Loads of similarities but I guess that was the point of the film.

    Love what you did here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so cool to see how many things looked almost identical.

      Delete
  8. Love these. I loved the look of Prometheus, just a shame the narrative was a complete mess! Great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the movie, but it would be better if they kept deleted scenes in it.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was lot of work, but it was worth it :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, this is probably the best of your visual parallel series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still struggling to come up with the idea for next one.

      Delete
  11. I had a feeling you'd do this for your Visual parallels haha. Great work. You have such a great eye for these kind of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I couldn't wait for Prometheus DVD, there were so many similarities here!

      Delete
  12. Incredible post, Sati. Putting those two side by side made me realize how disappointed I am with Prometheus...I know you don't agree! I had very high expectations prior to seeing Prometheus, and liked it upon initially seeing it. But as time expired, and after I saw it again, I became less impressed, and more dissatisfied. When you put it side by side with Alien, it makes me realize how edgy and frightening Alien is in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For me it actually has the opposite effect - I think it's pretty cool how many similarities Ridley Scott managed to put in that movie, it's kinda a way to show that in this universe some things will always go the same - the journey starts with curiosity, ends with death.

      Delete
  13. Again, BRILLIANT post, Sati! It must take you ages to come up with the pics for each film. Well done girl, there is no other post like this anywhere in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ruth! It was actually fun taking those, except for the shots of creatures which was pretty creepy :)

      Delete
  14. Awesome!!

    I especially love the David and Ash comparisons, extremely similar in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the close ups were shot almost exactly the same!

      Delete
  15. Excellent work, Sati! I admire the effort. I like both these movies. I'm with you that Prometheus was a good film, and with all those unanswered questions, we need a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just can't wait for the sequel, I hope Ridley will direct it.

      Delete
  16. Beautifully done, Sati! Love these parallels. It's amazing how even after all these years, what was seen and done in Alien just can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Absolutely, it's a true classic both for sci-fi and horror genre. Still so incredibly scary and disturbing.

      Delete
  17. Superb addition to your series, and an exhaustive one at that (which I mean as a compliment). I knew you were planning this one, and the final post definitely lived up to my anticipation. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so much work, but I really wanted to cover all the similarities in the movies.

      Delete
  18. Ahh, how did I miss this?!? Awesome job, Sati! I definitely noticed some of these similarities while watching Prometheus, and it's great to see even more of them highlighted. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait too, since for now I have absolutely no idea what to do next in the series :)

      Delete