Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jean Dujardin Appreciation

By s. Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Jean Edmond Dujardin
 19 June 1972, Rueil-Malmaison, Hauts-de-Seine, France 

I usually try to sound at least a little professional when I'm writing on the blog. Rambling Friday is the only feature where you get an exclusive glimpse into my sick and depraved mind. But today, ah happy day! It is Jean Dujardin's birthday and I intend to celebrate this day on the blog to its fullest.

I love this man - as many others I was charmed by him and swept off my feet when I saw The Artist. Though I think Michael Fassbender's work in Shame was better than Dujardin's performance, the entire Oscar season I was rooting for Jean, especially after Fassbender didn't get a nod for Academy Award. And people I root for barely ever win - but this time, during watching every single ceremony I was so happy. And then with the Oscar win...so much joy and it was definitely one of the most beautiful and genuinely enthusiastic acceptance speeches.


After The Artist I saw many of his other films - Dujardin is very skilled in comedy, especially in James Bond parodies also directed by Michel Hazanavicius, the director of The Artist - two "OSS 117" movies where Jean plays the part of titular secret agent, very misogynistic, womanizing but also incredibly lovable and charming guy. He does wonderfully in drama too - in Le Bruit des Glacons he played the part of an alcoholic having conversations with the personified version of his own cancer, in Contre Enquete he was the father of little girl who was raped and murdered and he was seeking vengeance on the man who was responsible, in Little White Lies he was adorable and crazy guy whose life and death had huge impact on his friends and finally in beautiful Un Balcon sur la Mer he was a man who found his long lost love.

But the best find was comedy series Un Gars, une Fille where Jean stars opposite his wife Alexandra Lamy. They play a couple who constantly fights yet never stop loving each other. The show is composed out of quick little scenes and it is very amusing and charming. If you know French go watch it now!

Jean's future projects include Les Infidels, comedy revolving around sex life of the couple of guys, Mobius, French spy thriller and hopefully new Martin Scorsese's movie.

5 favorite films:
  • The Artist
  • Un Balcon sur la Mer
  • Little White Lies
  • 99 Francs
  • Bienvenue chez les Rozes

5 favorite performances:
  • The Artist
  • Un Balcon sur la Mer
  • Le Bruit des glaçons
  • OSS 117 (both parts)
  • 99 Francs
5 favorite scenes (in movies):
  • The dance in The Artist
  • Video of summer memories in Little White Lies
  • Jumping into the pool in OSS 117: Rio ne repond plus
  • Load-unload interrogation in OSS 117: Le Caire Nid d'Espions
  • "- How many flowers? - All of them" in Cash
5 ways in which Jean influenced my life:
  • I discovered knowing a little French is useful.  I learned it for 6 years, I had teachers who would be perfect fit back in WWII if only they run Nazi camps and I pretty much loathed learning this language because of them. But now, finally, when I watch a movie and understand it, years of suffering paid off.
  • For the first time ever despite the fact one of my favorites - George Clooney - was in Oscar race I was not rooting for him
  • The fact Jean won Oscar made me forget about my pain that came from the fact Fassbender did not, though I was certain he will be nominated, at the very least.
  • At one point I hoped to be GPS
  •  I can no longer listen to "I heard it through the grapevine" without thinking of his striptease scene in UGUF.
5x sexy:


10x cute:

and that lovely moment when he forgets words in English:

5x hilarious:


8 favorite photos of him:


5 heart stopping moments for every fangirl:

Jean sings 'Marseillaise' after SAG win

Celebrities and Jean:



36 comments:

  1. Oui! Jean is perfection. I wish him love and success always. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're crazy about him!!! :) He was hilarious in the OSS 117 movies and was the perfect fit for The Artist. Good to see he got the Oscar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I am :) I love OSS 117, epecially the first one, his character being oblivious to all the religious customs and stuff like that was just hilarious to watch.

      Delete
  3. Wow... you really love this dude. BTW, last Saturday when I went to see Cinema Paradiso, one of the films that the Lefont Film Society at the Lefont Sandy Springs theater is going to play for this special marathon on July 20 & 21 is OSS 117/Cairo Nest of Spies. They're also going to have Cabaret in late August. Do you have something like that in your nearby art house theater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art house theater near where I live mostly have marathons concerning one specific country - there was one for Russian, Spanish and French movies. Unfortunetly none of them had Jean in it :(

      Delete
  4. OH HE'S AWESOME!
    I haven't seen him in any other films apart from The Artist, but he was so charming in that and he seems like a riot in real life.
    Happy Birthday indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out his other movies most of them are really good and the others are at the very least entertaining :)

      Delete
  5. Yeay!!!

    I lovd the OSS117 films VERY much indeed!! Well done Sati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they? I'm watching them agian this weekend :)

      Delete
  6. I've only seen him in The Artist, but this man is so fricking endearing! I was so addicted to the tumblr of "Jean sleeping on things" - cracked me up!

    I'll keep an eye out for some more of his films. Awesome post Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to review more of his movies soon, I can't believe I only reviewed 2 of them.

      Jean sleeping on things is hilarious, love this tumblr!

      Delete
  7. That's a whole lot of awesome on one page! I went and watched OSS-117 Lost in Rio because of The Artist and it was a lot of fun. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in more roles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost in Rio is awesome, I like how Hazanavicius and Dujardin are clearly doing a lot for the ladies watching - I mean that pool scene! and the very beginning! Loved the movie :)

      Delete
  8. Dujardin's popularity is through the roof and I don't blame you for falling hard for him. He's a charming fella and he knows it! THAT smile, that irresistible mischievous smile, on top of being so gorgeous!

    I love that he's got such a fun sense of humor, "For the first time ever despite the fact one of my favorites - George Clooney - was in Oscar race I was not rooting for him" Ahahaha, well of course not! That line just made me laugh. That's cool that he mentioned Fassbender too, how nice of him.

    Great post, Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his smile, it's so ridiculously happy. And his laughter too.

      I always root for Clooney in the race, but this time, oh no :) Even Brad Pitt would be my choice before Clooney.

      Delete
  9. Pure awesomeness.
    I have to see something besides The Artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do! Especially "Un Balcon sur la Mer" is lovely, very beautiful romance/thriller.

      Delete
  10. I'm in complete agreement! I have a lot of love for this man. He is just so precious and incredibly sexy. Where did you see Bienvenue Chez Les Rozes? It's one I haven't managed to find anywhere online yet. I'd love to see it (preferably with English subtitles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some french TV channels here and I caught this one close to the Academy Awards ceremony. I'm sure it's online somewhere especialy since Cloemency Poesy appaers naked in it ^^ Truly great dark comedy, hope you get to see it!

      Delete
  11. Allright I'm not ashamed to admit that the man is indeed charming and does have lots of charisma. I loved his Funny Or Die video that you posted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is hilarious, his funny or die videos as wonderful!

      Delete
  12. Haha, you like him a lot don't you? :) I take it you love him more than Fassbender? Or equally? He is indeed charming and the screen loves him. I guess at some part, his accent adds a little sexiness too. Didn't know that he is in a TV serial too. Nice appreciation post, Sati!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definetly like him more than Fass - though Michael choses more challenging roles, so it's tough to say which one is the better actor. But If I ever opened my door and saw Fassbender as David from Prometheus standing there I'd run away screaming :)

      Delete
    2. "But If I ever opened my door and saw Fassbender as David from Prometheus standing there I'd run away screaming" Ahah, I'd do the same thing! Who know what he'd have on his fingertip!!

      Delete
    3. Probably some weaponized crap that would turn us into zombies :)

      Delete
  13. Still have only seen one of his movies, must change that now. He seems such a fun person in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out more of his movies, especially OSS 117, really fun films!

      Delete
  14. Great post! I loved him in The Artist, and I was thrilled when he won the Oscar. Though he would be my #6 choice for Best Actor, he was definitely the best of the nominees. Also, I've had the "OSS 117" movies in my Netflix queue for months, so I'll have to move them up and watch them soon. Thanks for the follow by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! OSS 117 is tons of fun and the first one is quite similiar to The Artist at times.

      Delete
  15. Damn you better watch out or he is gonna think your a stalker ;-)

    I must confess I have only seen him in the Artist, which I thought was amazing. Going to have to try and check him out in some of the other films you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm far away from France so I'm no threat :)

      He is really wonderful in his other movies, it's rare to see an actor do so well with both drama and comedy.

      Delete
  16. Haha wow, that's quite the collection of GIFs! Sadly, the only film I have seen him in is The Artist. I really want to check out the OSS films, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gifs of him, could watch them all day long :)))

      Delete
  17. Great b'day tribute to M. du Jardin. Only other thing I've seen him in is the OSS movies. Ruth was right, your design is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete