Monday, June 18, 2012

Summertime!

By s. Monday, June 18, 2012 ,
Summer - heat, sunlight, ice cream and sand. There are several works of art that, for me, capture the season so well that you can experience them in the middle of snowy winter and you still feel as if you were standing on the beach, looking at the waves, feeling sunlight on your skin. In music it's Lana del Rey's songs - they really feel as if the sun, the heat and the desire to feel a little bit of wind on your face was enclosed in them. When I listen to her songs I feel as if I was in the apartment complex much like the one in "Leaving Las Vegas", next to the pool or in some diner, like the one in Twin Peaks seeing everything around me melting, while looking thankfully at the ceiling fan.

Same goes for certain movies (U Turn, The Rum Diary) where you can really feel the summer vibe in every single shot. Here is the collection of images from various films, that for me capture this season of the year perfectly:

The Rum Diary
The Virgin Suicides
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
U Turn
My Blueberry Nights
Due Date
Revolutionary Road
Chaplin
Blow
Wild at Heart
OSS 117: Rio ne repond plus
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Match Point
The Tree of Life
My Week with Marilyn
Big Fish
My Summer of Love
Pulp Fiction
Mr & Mrs Smith
Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Uninvited
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
A Dangerous Method
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Elizabethtown
The Road
Atonement
Marie Antoinette

30 comments:

  1. Quite the cinematic art Gallery Sati!

    Any chance you actually LIKE the Rum Diary? Or did it just fit your theme?

    I'm looking for SOMEONE who likes it so I wont feel like the only one anymore! LOL I'm a big fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, gave it 7/10 - always enjoy seeing Amber Heard and the film was very entertaining!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful collection of photos here, Sati.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very pretty post. Yaay for summer I guess (I hate summers :P).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't like the heat, but I love the beach and the see and I can only swim in it in the summer, so it made me like the season too :)

      Delete
  4. What a freaking beautiful post. My favorite pictures out of these are from Elizabethtown, Marie Antoinette, Swenney Todd, Vicky Cristina Barselona... ah who am I kidding? I can list them all here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Took me some time to made the colors in the pics more vibrant.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful... I'm glad someone picked My Summer of Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this movie, Emily Blunt was brilliant in it.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos! Nice work pulling them together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, these are gorgeous Summery pics!! I especially love that one from Big Fish, really need to see that one. LOVE it Sati, makes me want to go to the beach pronto, unfortunately we don't have *real* beach in Minnesota :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Fish is beautiful, very moving and gorgeous movie. I'm fortunate - the beach is 10 minutes away from my house so I go there every few days.

      Delete
  8. I like everything about summer, except being in it- does it sound weird? I like the colors, the free, careless vibe of it, the warmth, but then again, I really don't like extreme heat or wearing almost nothing! Lovely pictures anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extreme heat is unbearable at times but the bright side it ends in the rain and I love the rain :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely summer images, Sati. Some movies you put remembered me the lovely atmosphere of the movie. Love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this makes me almost like summer! Well, we are in the middle of a freezing winter down here, so I kinda miss the normal, rain-free days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, winter is the worst - if you have to go outside. But sitting in, watching the weather through the window is not bad. Fortunetly we dont live in Game of Thrones universe and seasons change quickly :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful screenshots Sati! Summer is my second favorite, after spring ;) It's just so muggy and humid up here in Minnesota...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Winter the most, but Summer is the time of the year when I don't fall on my ass because I slipped on the ice so I appreciate it strongly ^^

      Delete
  12. Beautifully designed post! Love all the shots here. Makes me feel like summer is actually here. Then I look outside and it's just horrible English weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English weather is not that bad, though the only time I was in London it was crazy sunny and hot. And I actually hoped to experience real English weather in person so I was sad :)

      Delete
  13. Excellent post, love love love it. Two others I'd like to add.... the pool scenes in Little Children. "Hot enough for you..." Whoa.

    And Tom Ripley approaching Dickey Greenleaf on the beach. Those scenes just FEEL like summer to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the red swimsuit and I was going to use it :/ I'm such a scatterhead! :)

      Great call on Ripley, the whole film is very summery, especially when Law is still around.

      Delete
  14. Wild at Heart is my favorite of those screenshots, actually the whole scene from the film, driving in car with radio on, getting out of car, and finally standing in the field with music and sunshine, amazing sequence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm with you here, love that whole movie but scenes like that one are the reason it is one of my favorites by Lynch.

      Delete
  15. Awesome pics! As I sit in the midst of a terrible heatwave, these are a nice reminder of the *good* things that summer brings. :)

    ReplyDelete