Monday, June 25, 2012

Rising Stars: Taissa Farmiga

By s. Monday, June 25, 2012
Today in Rising Stars segment I'm looking at the extremely lovely and incredibly talented Taissa Farmiga, younger sister of mesmerizing Vera Farmiga. I first noticed her last fall when I started watching American Horror Story - I love horror films and TV series so this one was a must see for me and every week I'd end up being genuinely freaked out by that excellent series and impressed by the acting of the cast. When I was watching the first episode I thought to myself "Hey, that girl looks just like Vera!" and then it turned out to be her sister. No wonder she is so great - apparently acting talent is something that runs in their blood.

Taissa was born on August 17, 1994. She is the youngest of seven children and is the younger sister of Vera, who is 21 years her senior. Unlike her older sister, Taissa had no interest in becoming an actor. However Vera managed to persuade Taissa to make her acting debut in Vera's directorial-debut Higher Ground - Vera wanted to cast someone who was physically similar to play the younger version of her character. Taissa was 15 and, apart from a school play, had no previous acting experience. The film showcased at the Sundance film festival and she received great reviews. It was after Sundance that Taissa officially decided to pursue acting.

Taissa with her sister Vera
After that she appeared in first season of FX series American Horror Story, where she played Violet Harmon, troubled, complicated teenager who falls in love with a strange boy who lives next door. Apart from exquisite Golden Globe winning work by Jessica Lange Taissa delivered the best performance in the series. Taissa said about her work - The horror aspect, the scary parts, are easy for me. I mean I can get into that pretty easy, because I get scared. You have to invest yourself in these characters.

The second season of the series will be another story, this time set in the mental institution in the 60's. Lange and Evan Peters who played Taissa's love interest in the first season are coming back, though they will play different characters. It is still unclear whether we will see Taissa again, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Taissa's upcoming projects include Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring where she stars opposite Emma Watson, Admissions where she will once again team up on screen with her sister Vera and Jamesy Boy, which will also star Mary Louise Parker and James Woods.
American Horror Story
Higher Ground
On the set of The Bling Ring

25 comments:

  1. Oh she is really cool. She has a presence that not many young actresses have. Very curious and excited where her career goes, especially seeing that she has Vera genes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Coppola's movie is a great start, she really has the same delicate presance as most of Coppola's acctresses.

      Delete
  2. Loved this! She's fast become one of my Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, her and Vera are definetly my favorite sisters in Hollywood.

      Delete
  3. She was one of my favourite things about the first season of American Horror Story. She's such a fantastic young actress.

    Her and Vera look so alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was amazing in AHS, really made sterotypical rebel teenage girl into something quite unique and fascinating to watch.

      Delete
    2. He slow realisation was brutal to watch though. I wanted to scream at her! Then hug her.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's a pretty impressive start. I have not seen "American Horror Story" but look forward to "The Bling Ring"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out AHS it's really awesome and Jessica Lange's performance is brilliant.

      Delete
  5. I didn't even know Vera has a sister who's also acting, very cool! Yeah she does resembles her older sis a lot. I've been wanting to see Higher Ground so I really should check that out. I like Vera as an actress and I've been hearing a lot of positive buzz about her directorial debut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera is one of my favorite actresses, I still haven't seen Higher ground though, along with The Gray it's one of those movies that are on my desk yet for some reason I haven't put the DVD in the player yet..

      Delete
  6. She does look like her sister. She's in safe hands with Sofia Copolla. That's one person who knows how to create great female characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm really looking forward to the movie and I hope both Watson and Farmiga will get noticed here, Watson can be impressive even in a tiny part like the one in My Week with Marilyn.

      Delete
  7. I've only seen her in Higher Ground and she is really good. I'm definitely looking forward to The Bling Ring only because it's Sofia Coppola no matter how bad the premise might seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's one of those stories that just appealed to Coppola - she loves rebels and lost souls.

      Delete
  8. Apart from exquisite Golden Globe winning work by Jessica Lange Taissa delivered the best performance in the series. - I agree entirely with this, great shame she won't be back for the second season, but have a feeling she's going on to bigger and better things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe she will be in it, did Murphy said she won't be comming back? Seems to me she is the one person that was really important in season 1 that may work in the new story too.

      Delete
  9. she is quite good. a very method young actress. love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see her in more movies, she is very impressive especially since she doesn't have much experience.

      Delete
  10. Hadn't heard of her but wow she looks like Vera. Will keep an eye out now! The Bling Ring sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be awesome. American Horror Story is definetly worth checking out!

      Delete
  11. sometimes the more lack of experience they have the better, so many young actors lose that innocence and inexperience and pick up bad habits with more roles. Interesting write up on an actress I had known nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, plus I think it only adds a refreshing quality to her acting - she is very natural in her work.

      Delete
  12. Haha, I feel so dumb now-- I thought Taissa was Vera's daughter! I heard about the series and I might check it out sometime, but I'm easily scared, so I'll have to prepare myself for a horror TV show...

    Of course, I'm curious about Higher Ground because Vera wrote and directed it. As for Bling Ring, my anticipation is growing by day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a common mistake, considering the big gap in the ages :) It's quite scary but it's definetly worth seeing, it's not horrifying, just creepy with jump scares.

      I really need to se HG soon I feel weird being a huge fan of Vera and not having seen it.

      Delete